La Trobe University: David Myers Building
A project requiring safe construction within a hazardous environment, Harris HMC was contracted by La Trobe University to refurbish a space contaminated with asbestos to create temporary offices for staff. This was the first stage of an extensive project to further develop the David Myers Building in Bundoora and as such needed to be completed to a strict deadline to allow for the relocation of staff.
Working in a 50 year old building, the scope included minor improvements to level 2 and converting the ground floor space into a new area for students to collaborate. Key to this project was creative design solutions to run services without disturbing any surfaces. The scope of works included:
- Strip out of existing floor coverings, fixtures and loose furniture without disturbing asbestos
- Prepare existing partitions, walls and ceilings for new high finished and complicated paint scheme
- Upgrade communications infrastructure to Cat6A
- Refresh walls and floors with new colourful coverings
- Install new custom specialist light fittings
- Upgrade mechanical services
- Install customised 3D wall graphic.
Address: David Myers Building, La Trobe University, Bundoora
Client : La Trobe University
Final($) : 1.4m
Duration : October 2017 – March 2018
Architect : DS Architects