Harris HMC Graduate/Final Year Internship Program
- Work directly with industry professionals to learn all areas of the building industry
- Meaningful work experience potentially leading to permanent roles once you graduate
- Kick start your career ahead of your peers through our work integrated program for final year students
Harris HMC is a family owned and operated business at its core, with the hallmarks of a larger organisation. We’re striving to be a Top 1% Company in the building industry – for the work we do, for our clients and for our staff.
Our services include:
- Construction: our new-build division, driving projects from concept to completion in areas such as multi-residential apartments, community, aged care, education and mausoleums.
- Interiors: commercial and office fitouts, refurbishments and extensions, building change of use, and speciality and heritage projects.
- Maintenance: multi-site facilities maintenance, commercial property maintenance, general building maintenance and refurbishment works, and emergency repairs and storm damage.
- Electrics: general electrical works, switchboard maintenance and upgrades, preventative maintenance, and emergency call-outs and breakdowns.
- Plumbing: general plumbing, gas-fitting and roofing works, environmental plumbing and stormwater, regulatory compliance works and emergency call-outs.
The Harris HMC Graduate/Final Year Internship Program commenced in 2016 with the view to promote and provide opportunities to future construction professionals and to identify future talent for our business. Over the last 4 years, it has been an extremely successful initiative for both our people and the business!
Our program aims to:
- Consolidate your learning at University with hands on work experience
- Gain experience and knowledge in a leading construction firm
- Network with industry professionals
- Undertake meaningful work in a supportive environment
- Gain exposure to different areas of the construction industry.
Designed to be completed in your final year of study, this paid work placement runs from mid-January 2021 to December 2021. You will work 3 days per week, with working days being flexible to accommodate your study requirements.
Over the duration of the 12 months students rotate through our four divisions of the
business and gain exposure to variety of different roles:
- 5.5 months with the Construction Division (Estimating, Project Coordinating alongside a PM/CA and on site with a Site Manager)
- 5.5 months with the Interiors Division (Estimating, Project Coordinating alongside a PM/CA and on site with a Site Manager)
- 1 month with the Maintenance and Electrics Divisions
- 1 week with the HSEQ Team.
Each graduate is paired with a mentor who has previously participated in our Graduate/Final Year Internship Program. The Mentor provides guidance and support throughout the duration of the 12-month program. Regular feedback is provided during each rotation to help you learn and grow.
The opportunity is available to 6 students in 2021 with the positions based in our North Melbourne, Scoresby and Keilor Park offices, and various site locations around Melbourne, relative to each rotation. At the conclusion of the program we review opportunities within the business and your preferences for future career opportunities and endeavour to offer students a permanent role at Harris HMC.
- Construction and Project Management university students completing their final year of study in 2021
- We will also consider students graduating in 2022
Please note that students who would have completed their studies by 2021 will not be eligible for the program.
- A passion for the construction industry
- Attitude and behaviour which aligns to the Harris HMC values and culture
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Demonstrated work experience (in a relevant field or otherwise)
- A proactive and positive attitude
- Eager to continuously learn and develop
- The ability to work well in teams, as well as autonomously when required
- Academic achievement (will be considered but it’s more important that you align with our company values).
- Online application
- Phone interview
- Panel interview
- Bus tour
For further information about Harris HMC or the Graduate/Final Year Internship program, please contact People and Culture on