St Michael the Archangel Mausoleum
Address: Melbourne General Cemetery, North Avenue, Carlton
Client : Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
Final($) : 8m
Duration : June 2017 - May 2018
Architect : Webb Plus
Harris HMC was engaged to construct this unique and architecturally designed double storey mausoleum – the second and final stage of a project for existing client Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust. Featuring a specially commissioned statue of Saint Michael the Archangel and beautiful finishes and stonework throughout, this project presented many design and construct challenges within a tight program.
With the first stage of construction complete, staff were relocated to a new workshop facility to allow for demolition of the maintenance building – the site of the new mausoleum housing 690 crypts. The construction site was very tight and closely bound by existing gravesites within an operating cemetery.
The scope of works included:
- Demolition and clearing of site
- Construction on piled foundations and a Glass Reinforced Concrete (GRC) structure using precast panels and structure steel upper floor
- Construction of 690 crypts manufactured offsite in precast concrete
- Installation of feature metal screens, skylights, statues and structural printed glass floors
- Extensive stonework including marble walls, intricate mosaics, bluestone and terrazzo floor tiles
- Installation of passenger lift with rose polished stainless steel doors – DDA compliant
- External landscaping and exposed aggregate paving
- Installation of solar panel system to continuously run vigil lighting
- Creation of a new hearse entrance off Princes Park Drive.