RMIT Student Hub
Address: 24-30 Cardigan St, Carlton
Client : RMIT University
Final($) : 1.5m
Duration : October 2016 - February 2017
Architect : Hinge Architects
Long-term client RMIT engaged Harris HMC to refurbish and adapt two abutting warehouses and transform it into a vibrant student hub. The project objective was to establish a centralised student zone in the Carlton Precinct City Campus providing a much-needed student space while upgrading two unused non-compliant buildings. Architecturally designed, RMIT was seeking a high-quality refurbishment to match other recent developments delivered across their Australian campuses.
The project outcomes included multi-purpose student study and recreation spaces, a small auditorium, kitchen facilities, an integrated social space and parenting room. The scope of works included:
- Demolition of existing storage areas, amenities, central corridor and warehouse back to bare shell
- Heavy penetrations through 800mm solid brick walls to connect the adjoining premises
- Installation of new services including mechanical, fire, electrical, data and AV; operable doors and security cameras throughout
- New wall linings throughout perimeter walls and ceilings
- Retrofit external bricks for installation of new Colorbond steel roof and perimeter windows throughout
- Fabrication of extensive external platform to support new mechanical plant on the roof.