RMIT Animation Studios
Address: Building 7, Swanston Street, Melbourne
Client: RMIT University
Duration: May - July 2016
This project was a first for RMIT upgrading a teaching space during a narrow window in the mid-semester break. Short-time frame and live environment specialists, Harris HMC was engaged to improve and upgrade facilities for the School of Media and Communications Animation Studio located in the disused south-west corner of Level 3 in Building 7 at the city campus. With a floor area of approximately 250m2, the studios were incorporated into an existing space with overall aesthetics and finishes to replicate earlier upgrade works.
The new space required a high-level audio visual and communications commissioning with the client’s key objective to complete works ready for the commencement of classes in Semester 2. The scope of works included:
- Erection of hoardings to protect students and minimise the dispersion of dust
- Strip out space and walls
- Installation of new glazed aluminium partitions and walls
- Installation of high quality custom joinery for circulation space
- New custom-made furniture for teaching and breakout spaces
- Installation of new perforated feature ceiling
- Installation and commissioning of new integrated audio visual system.