Only About Children
Only About Children (OAC) Childcare Centres are purpose-built to create an environment to meet 21st century early years education. Harris HMC was contracted to construct and fitout OAC Hawthorn – a high-end childcare facility catering for 120 children and infants and built on a tight site in a residential area.
Architecturally designed to create a complex of homey, rich and stimulating places for kids while delivering an amendable workplace, the boundary-to-boundary build was conducted on 1,187m2 parcel of land. The site presented the opportunity of incorporating an existing large tree as part of the landscape and was incorporated into the design.
The facility is a three-level building plus basement incorporating a foyer, playrooms, office areas, bathrooms, staff rooms, commercial kitchens, stores, lift, stairs and laundry. The scope of works included:
- Bulk earthworks
- Works associated with the construction of a fully piled basement
- Hard and soft landscaping to the outdoor spaces on ground, level 1 and level 2
- Building services, plant areas and equipment, infrastructure and services connections
- Construction and/or reinstatement of footpaths, crossovers, kerb and channel as required to council requirements
- Upgrades to the lane to suit dual entry
- Builders works associated with the connection to services utilities
- Building signage and mail facilities
- 21 car parking spaces
- Bicycle storage
- Finishes including glazing and frames, lighting, skirting, doors, floors, internal walls, external walls and ceilings.
Address: 140-142 Barkers Road, Hawthorn
Client : Only About Children Pty Ltd
Superintendent: BDS Projects
Final($) : 5.6m
Duration : June 2017 - February 2018
Architect : Law Architects