MGC Big Shed
Harris HMC were engaged to deliver various construction services to improve staff facilities and in preparation for construction of a new mausoleum in the heart of the iconic and historically significant Melbourne General Cemetery (MGC). The key to success was competing all construction activities by the end of May 2017 so that the new mausoleum could be built and functional within 12 months.
The construction site was very tight and closely bound by existing gravesites within an operating cemetery. The scope of works included:
- Demolition of existing gatehouse and toilet block including asbestos removal
- Construction and fitout of a new workshop and associated amenities including new public DDA toilet, two showers, change room and lunch room
- Mechanical excavation for screw piles, in ground services and strip footings
- Construction of suspended slab on ground, portal frame style steel with internal mezzanine
- Sheet metal clad roof and walls, CFC and Alucabond cladding to east and west ends
- External civil works including plant climbing screen.
Sector: Commercial, Mausoleum
Address: Melbourne General Cemetery, North Avenue, Carlton
Client : Southern Metropolitan Cemeteries Trust
Final($) : $520,000
Start Date : March 2017
Completed : May 2017
Architect : Webb Plus Architects