Harris HMC Graduate Program
About the opportunity
- Kick start your career in the Melbourne Construction Industry working for a leading company.
- Work directly with industry professionals.
- Meaningful work experience in different areas throughout the business.
About Harris HMC
Harris HMC is a Melbourne based, family owned and operated business at its core, with the hallmarks of a larger organisation. We’re striving to be a Top 1% Company in the Building Industry. This means for the work we do for our clients and for our staff.
Founded in 1984 and employing around 180 Industry professionals, Harris HMC has grown to be regarded as a builder of choice in Melbourne.
Our services include:
- Construction Our new-build division, driving projects from concept to completion. Fixed price, Design and Construct, or Construction Management.
- Interiors Experts in Commercial Fitout and refurbishment across Melbourne. Known for delivering on the tightest of timeframes, with minimum of fuss.
- Maintenance We offer full service commercial property and facilities maintenance to Government, Commercial and Retail clients.
- Electrics Specialising in electrical maintenance works and switchboard upgrades, Harris HMC is a long term and trusted service provider to our clients and the buildings they operate.
When you join our team, you will soon see that our people embrace the Top 1% vision and it is an essential element we incorporate in everything we do. We share information with each other and our plans for the future, we develop people in their own careers and we reward performance. Our Top 1% vision means that as a company, we have a positive impact on the overall lives of our team.
The Harris HMC Graduate Program
The Harris HMC Graduate Program commenced in 2016 with the view to promote and consolidate ‘growing our own’ future construction professionals and to provide the opportunity to identify young talent for our business.
Benefits of the Harris HMC Graduate Program
We are committed to broadening the experience of our graduates:
- Consolidate your learning at Uni with hands-on work experience
- Gain experience and knowledge in a leading Construction firm
- Network with industry professionals
- Undertake meaningful work in a supportive environment
- Gain exposure to different areas of the Construction Industry
- Paid work placement
The Nitty Gritty of the Graduate Program
The program runs for an 12-month period, 3 days per week. Working days can be flexible to accommodate your study requirements. The Graduate Program opportunity is available to three students each year.
The pay rate is $25 per hour (including superannuation).
Mentoring and supervision is provided as well as regular two-way feedback opportunities.
These positions are based in our North Melbourne, Kensington and various site locations around Melbourne. There is plenty of opportunity to get out of the office to meet people and work on site.
What you can expect from the Graduate Program at Harris HMC
Students rotate through four divisions of the business;
- 5 months with the Construction Division (2 months in Estimating, 2 months Project Coordinating alongside a PM/CA and 1 month on site with a Site Manager).
- 5 months with the Interiors Division (2 months in Estimating, 2 months Project Coordinating alongside a PM/CA and 1 month on site with a Site Manager).
- 1 month with the Maintenance, Electrics Division as well as with Group Services (Finance and Admin, Marketing, HR, HSE)
On a day-to-day basis you may be involved in project estimating, looking at architectural/structural drawings, analysing trade prices and quotes, Project Coordinating, site visits, client meetings, learning about demarcation and scoping, talking with subcontractors, maintenance and electrical building services and learning about site health and safety.
Who can apply for the Graduate Program?
The Harris HMC Graduate Program is generally completed in the final year of study by;
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Construction Management) Undergraduate Degree students at RMIT.
- Master of Construction Management Post Graduate Degree at The University of Melbourne.
- Bachelor of Construction Management at Deakin University.
- Other institutions with Construction Undergraduate and Post Graduate qualifications.
Outcome of the Program
At the conclusion of the program we review your preferences for future career opportunities and endeavour to offer students a permanent role with Harris HMC.
Criteria for Selection
- Strong aspirations to work in the Construction industry
- Good fit for the Harris HMC team
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- A confident and professional manner
- Demonstrated work experience (in a relevant field or otherwise)
- High level of computer literacy
- A proactive attitude
- The ability to work well in teams, as well as autonomously when required
- Ability to learn new tasks in a fast paced working environment
- Extra-curricular or community activities
- Academic achievement (will be considered, but it’s more important that you are a good fit for our team!)
We have a two-stage interview process. Offers are made in November, with commencement in February the following year.
Applications will open in September 2017
For further information, please contact Tanya Large, HR Coordinator –